Original Composition Festival
The MEA annual Original Composition Festival is devoted to young composers and their original compositions. It is not a competition and is open to any MEA student composer. This is an exciting opportunity for young composers to be together, network, and hear one another's compositions. All performers receive an Original Composition Festival Certificate. This event is offered in the spring after the conclusion of the Eric Steiner Original Composition Competition.
Winners of the Eric Steiner Original Composition Competition are featured at the Festival and presented with their awards. All participants in the Eric Steiner Original Composition Competition are encouraged to perform at the Festival.
Please check our Calendar for the spring date and location. Details are also available on the Print Version of the Guidelines and the Interactive Registration Form. To enter students, log onto your Member Homepage and fill out the Original Composition Festival Interactive Registration Form found in the right hand column.
Please read the guidelines below before entering your students.
- Composer/performer must be a student of an active MEA teacher.
- Deadline to enter is March 31. Late forms will not be accepted.
- Performances should be of high enough caliber to deserve a public audience even at early levels.
- Please time the length of the composition to be performed and submit as requested on registration form.
- Composers may appear as soloists, accompanists or in small ensembles. In an ensemble, only one performer is required to be studying his/her ensemble instrument with an MEA member.
- All solo repertoire must be memorized.
- Although these recitals are less formal than ohter MEA recitals, students are asked to dress
appropriately - no T-shirts, jeans, sneakers or flip-flops. Teachers are required to notify the
parents and the students of the dress code
- The Chair must be notified if performers are unable to appear.
- Performers should arrive 15 minutes before the announced time of the Festival in order to be
- Performers must remain throughout the performances in order to support fellow composers,
encourage proper courtesy at concerts, and to minimize distractions to the performers.
- Family and friends are encouraged to attend.
- There is a $10 fee for all students who have not participated in the Eric Steiner Original
Composition Competition. Any donation will be gratefully accepted to help cover expenses
and to support the Original Composition Festival.
- Teachers may enter up to 5 students in the Festival, not including Eric Steiner Competition
- All entrants in the Eric Steiner Original Composition Competition are automatically enrolled
in the Original Composition Festival at no extra charge.
- Annual Piano Auditions Composition Option: Students are encouraged to perform their
compositions again as part of the Annual Piano Auditions in the spring.
Email questions to Elizabeth Burnett: email@example.com